Thursday, November 13, 2008

LOCKDOWN and wasting time

Yesterday I went to volunteer at school. I have a love hate relationship with volunteering. I love going to school and seeing my kids in class... I know they love it and I love making them happy. HOWEVER, it seems like I have to move heaven and earth to get there... kind of like when you plan a trip to the temple and it seems impossible to get there.. you know how it goes. It just seems hard. I always end up having a million OTHER things to do on that day.

So, just as luck would have it, I show up on LOCKDOWN DAY. What is LOCKDOWN DAY you might ask? Well, it is similar to having an earthquake drill at school. Remember those? Get under your desk for 5 minutes and giggle at the person next to you because you all look so ridiculous hiding under your desk.... yeah, LOCKDOWN is a little different. All a sign of the times we live in... with lockdown, you close and lock the door, turn out the lights, put black paper over the windows in the hall so no-one can see in to the classroom, you all crouch in a corner.. the corner of the room where if someone opened the door they wouldn't see you right away, you can't talk and then you wait..... for a long....................................long..........................looooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggg time. (Ok, I guess it was only 20 minutes but that is like almost a whole episode of Ruff Ruff man!) Then, eventually, someone (a police officer) wriggles the door to make sure it is locked and that you have complied with the rules of the lockdown. A few minutes after that, an announcement is made that the campus is "secure".

The only thing different about MY LOCKDOWN experience is that I was in the copy room and had to sit on the floor with a few other adults. It was a bizarre experience, and it saddened me just a little, that my kids even have to KNOW what a lockdown is. In reality, I was grateful that they practice lockdown because although it is a little frightening, I was convinced that as long as the attack was not in the direct room of one of my children they would probably be safe because of this procedure. I hope your schools practise lockdown. If they don't... THEY SHOULD START!

On a lighter note... this came up on my live feed from People.com. (YES, I subscribe to People's live feed, don't you?) It is a GREAT waste of time, and even better if you husband sits over your shoulder and provides "Puppy Dialogue" as you are watching. I can't wait to show it to Abby when she gets home from school, she will LOVE it! ENJOY!

7 comments:

Anne said...

Um, wow. I know it's not for everyone, but just another reason why I homeschool! YIKES! For us it was just a silly little tornado drill.

cher said...

Hi Lindsey... it's been so fun to read your blog the last few weeks - hopefully I don't count as a stalker. I'm just renewing an old friendship, right? = ) I can just hear Wojtech (?) shouting at us at Brighton High for all that 'grab*** bull****" Aaaahhh.

cher said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
heather said...

I've been in REAL lockdowns more than once. They do happen, and I'm willing to bet every school practices them -and if they don't you are right -they should.

Melissa-Mc said...

What timing. Don't volunteer at the school in your last month of pregnancy. That could start labor.

jessica said...

I have the same love hate relationship. I feel such pressure to do it often because I don't have any kids at home in the afternoon now. If I were you I would have such a huge excuse not to ever go in there! I'm always glad after I do it...

Jake said...

Yikes. Lockdown. I feel claustrophobic just reading about it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails