Friday, January 18, 2008

Macaroni and Cheese

No, I don't mean the Kraft kind. This is one of my husband's favorite dishes, and when we were first married, I insisted that I put vienna sausages on top (that is how my mom made it) and he insisted on hot dogs. I compromised after a while and did 1/2 and 1/2 and now, I just make it with hot dogs. The kids like it that way too. And, it wouldn't be mac and cheese if you didn't throw some peas over the top of a serving. But hey, maybe that is just the way we like to eat it!

MAC AND CHEESE

Cook 2 cups of macaroni according to package instructions. Put in round, or 8 inch square baking dish.

2 Tbls. butter, melted and bubbling
2 Tbls. flour
1/2 cup minced onion
1 garlic clove minced
1 cup milk
1 cup cheddar cheese
hot dogs

Melt 2 Tbls. butter, and let bubble. Saute onion and garlic in the butter. Add the flour, and let cook for one minute. Add milk slowly, and let thicken and come to a slow boil on medium heat (Be careful to not burn!). Add cheddar cheese, and let melt. Pour sauce over macaroni. Add hot dogs and some additional cheddar cheese to the top. Bake for 25 minutes at 350.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails